Great Parndon is a residential area of Harlow Essex and is located on the South side of the Town.
Great Parndon has its own Infant/Primary Schools (Jerounds and St. Lukes RC - both on Pyenest Road), and a small cluster of shops at Pollard Hatch - off Kingsmoor Road.
Two Pubs, both located on Three Horsehoes Road, a Community Centre at the southern end of Katherines Way and a number of Playing Fields, complete the local facilities.
Third Avenue, Abercrombie Way, Southern Way and Katherines Way have been used as the boundaries for this pictorial record. This area is somewhat smaller than the current parish of Great Parndon and the local Electoral Ward.
Peldon Road, which includes one of the local Parish Churches, has also been included in the record as the "old" western boundary, prior to the construction of Katherines Way in the 1970's, ran from Paycock Road through a ford (now bridged over) and then up the hill to the houses and school on the narrow road, now a cul-de-sac, shown to the west of Peldon Road. The "old" road then continued on to join Third Avenue just to the west of the Katherines/Third Avenue roundabout.
During the early part of the 20th Century, what is now Great Parndon was a collection of small rural hamlets; centred at Cock Green, Linford End and along Three Horseshoes and Kingsmoor Roads. "Great Parndon" was incorporated in Harlow New Town in the early 1950's.
For a current perspective of Great Parndon, please see the Great Parndon Residents Association Web Page
Click on a named area within the map below to access the images, or use the Navigation Buttons below.
Use your Browser "Back" Button to return to this page.
Great Parndon Area - circa 1970
Great Parndon Area - circa 1884
Harlow and Great Parndon Area - circa 1777